Giovanni is still hanging around in Pokemon Go in March 2023, giving eager players one of the game’s toughest tests. Our complete guide will help you to conquer his Shadow Regice as well as the rest of his powerful March 2023 team.
In Pokemon Go, members of Team Rocket get stronger as players progress, and Giovanni is arguably the biggest challenge of them all. Niantic constantly changes the Pokemon he uses and in March 2023, trainers will be toe-to-toe with his fearsome Shadow Regice.
Thanks to the type-based combat system in Pokemon games, every Pokemon is beatable with a suitable strategy and counterattacks designed to capitalize on weaknesses using a carefully selected team.
Here’s everything you need to defeat Team Rocket Leader Giovanni, including the weaknesses and best counters for all of his Pokemon Go team in March 2023.
- How to beat Giovanni in Pokemon Go
- Best team to defeat Giovanni in Pokemon Go
- How to counter Persian in Pokemon Go
- How to counter Giovanni’s Nidoking, Kingler, or Kingdra in Pokemon Go
- How to beat Giovanni’s Shadow Regice in Pokemon Go
- How to find Giovanni in Pokemon Go
How to beat Giovanni in Pokemon Go
Every encounter with Team Rocket Leader Giovanni in Pokemon Go has one constant, he will begin the fight by unleashing his prized Pokemon — his beloved Persian.
Topple his precious pet and it’ll be onto a fight against a random Pokemon chosen from a specially selected pool of top-tier fighters — Nidoking, Kingler, or Kingdra.
Lastly, if you make it to the third and final battle, it’ll be time for an intense battle against Shadow Regice, and our in-depth guide will walk you through each one of these tough phases.
Best team to defeat Giovanni in Pokemon Go
Some teams that are balanced enough to survive Team Rocket Leader Giovanni in Pokemon Go under any circumstances are Terrakion, Mewtwo, and Tyranitar, or even Lucario, Kyogre, and Kartana.
It is worth noting that using the aforementioned Pokemon won’t guarantee success every time you face Giovanni. It largely depends on the attacks his Pokemon are using and there is always an element of luck involved when it comes to a Pokemon fight.
Even if you lose to Giovanni, just make the right changes and properly study the type of attacks his Pokemon are using. With the right strategy, even non-specialist Pokemon for the job can defeat the Team Go Rocket leader in the game.
How to counter Persian in Pokemon Go
Persian is a Normal-type Pokemon which makes it vulnerable to Fighting-type Pokemon. Accordingly, we recommend using your best Fighting-types with the highest DPS stats in Pokemon Go.
Ideally, these should be any of the following:
- Lucario with Counter and Aura Sphere.
- Hariyama with Counter and Dynamic Punch.
- Conkeldurr with Counter and Dynamic Punch.
- Machamp with Counter and Dynamic Punch.
- Breloom with Counter and Dynamic Punch.
How to counter Giovanni’s Nidoking, Kingler, or Kingdra in Pokemon Go
Nidoking is a unique Poison and Ground-type Pokemon that is vulnerable against Ground, Water, Psychic, and Ice-type attacks in Pokemon Go. It can learn Bug moves that are super effective against Psychic Pokemon and its Iron Tail Fast Move is effective against Ice-type Pokemon.
Accordingly, using the likes of Mewtwo and Glaceon could be a hit or miss depending on Nidoking’s first couple of attacks.
Water-type Pokemon are definitely the strongest against Nidoking and here are some of the safest picks for you to consider:
- Kyogre with Waterfall and Hydro Pump/Surf.
- Mewtwo with Confusion and Psychic.
- Glaceon with Ice Shard and Avalanche.
- Swampert with Water Gun and Hydro Cannon.
Kingler is a dual of Water and Ice-type Pokemon, which means it’s weak against Electric and Grass-type moves. You don’t want to bring any Fire, Ice, Steel, or Water-type Pokemon to battle since Kingler can resist their attacks with ease.
You’ll deal great damage if you use the following combinations:
- Kartana with Razor Leaf and Leaf Blade.
- Raikou with Volt Switch and Wild Charge.
- Torterra with Razor Leaf and Frenzy Plant.
- Ampharos with Volt Switch and Thunder Punch.
- Roserade with Razor Leaf and Solar Beam.
Kingdra is a dual Dragon and Water-type Pokemon that is only weak against Dragon and Fairy-type attacks. It’s resistant to Steel, Fire, and Water-type moves, so you have a lot of options for dealing neutral damage.
If you want to bet on Dragon and Fairy-type Pokemon for this battle, here are some recommendations:
- Togekiss with Charm and Ancient Power.
- Gardevoir with Charm and Synchronoise.
- Clefable with Charm and Moon Blast.
- Dragonite with Dragon Tail and Superpower.
How to beat Giovanni’s Shadow Regice in Pokemon Go
The final challenge for Team Rocket Leader Giovanni is his Shadow Regice, which is weak against Fire, Fighting, Rock, and Steel-type moves. As a pure Ice-type Pokemon, it can resist other Ice-types moves like it’s nothing.
Regice can have a wide variety of attacks that might include Ice, Ground, Fighting, Normal, or Electric-type moves, so keep that in mind when picking counters. The best strategy against Regice, however, is exploiting its weaknesses by spamming both Fast and Charged super-effective Moves.
Here’s a high-priority list of some Pokemon that should work great against Shadow Regice:
- Terrakion with Double Kick and Sacred Sword.
- Lucario with Counter and Aura Sphere.
- Reshiram with Fire Fang and Overheat.
- Blaziken with Counter and Blaze Kick/Blast Burn.
- Metagross with Bullet Punch and Meteor Mash.
How to find Giovanni in Pokemon Go
If you’re unsure about where to find the trainer in the first place, then we can tell you that you can come across Giovanni after obtaining a Super Rocket Radar in Pokemon Go.
Here’s how you can get this item:
- Unlock Shadowy Skirmishes Special Research by completing any other Team Go Rocket Special Research stories that you currently have active.
- At the final stage of Shadowy Skirmishes, you’ll be asked to defeat Giovanni.
- Defeat Team Rocket Grunts in Pokestops or balloons to acquire six Mysterious Components that help in unlocking a Team Rocket Radar.
- Equip the Team Rocket Radar to take on three Team Go Rocket leaders called Cliff, Sierra, and Arlo.
- They will be hidden in either hidden Pokestops or the balloons.
- You will earn the Super Rocket Radar after defeating all the grunts and leaders.
- Equip it, and Giovanni should arrive in a Pokestop. Be aware of decoys that only pretend to be Giovanni.
Image Source: Syafiq Adnan / Shutterstock